The Club would like to invite expressions of interest from within the club in the first instance for a new role of Director of Junior Hockey.
Why have the role?
The Club’s strategy document 2018-2023 sets out our ambitions including securing the sustainability of our junior section and increasing the support available to our junior coaches and volunteers as well as helping to grow our sport locally.
To that end, the club is seeking to create a new role of Director of Junior Hockey to whom the existing roles of Head of Junior Coaching and the Junior Administrator will report.
What would the role involve?
The target objective of this individual would be to develop and enhance the strategy and performance of our Junior section.
The individual should be experienced in coaching and have a desire and enthusiasm to achieve this objective.
The main responsibilities of the Director of Junior Hockey would be to:
- Co-ordinate the programme of Junior coaching (both girls and boys) at BSHC with an aim of enhancing the product that we offer our Juniors.
- Ensure that the coaches are receiving sufficient support in terms of expectations for the development of players at different age group levels, examples of sessions that can be run to achieve coaching objectives, etc.
- Engage club members to deliver the coaching and to be helpers for the age group coaches so that each age group is sufficiently resourced in a way that is fair to those individuals – Ensure that the juniors are getting sufficient match experience at the appropriate level for their group and the stage of their development.
- Liaise with local schools: both maintaining and enhancing links with the hockey playing schools and seeking to connect with the state schools that currently have very little or no hockey.
- Develop deliverables for the Head of Junior Coaching and the Junior Administrator (which may involve delegating tasks in relation to the above responsibilities but not the responsibilities themselves) and monitor progress on those deliverables with a view to achieving the above.
What does success look like?
Consistent with the strategy document, quantitative indicators of success would include increasing the number of junior members overall, and in particular the numbers of junior boys as well as the proportion of junior members making the successful transition to adult hockey with the club. The role will have its challenges but should also be very rewarding.
Accordingly, the vision and enthusiasm of the individual will also be an important consideration for the Committee in deciding to make an appointment.
What if I am interested in this?
We would be willing to make some payment for this role which will vary depending on whether delivering coaching is also to fall within the scope of the role (delivering coaching is NOT a requirement of the role – we would be willing to discuss preferences on this). Terms to be discussed if of any interest.
Should you have an interest in this role, please apply to Duncan Barber ideally before 30 August 2020.
Yours in hockey,
Butch BSHC Chairman